The Witch's Hat Depot functions as a museum and the gathering place for the South Lyon Historical Society. Its distinctive roof line gives the building its name: The Witch's Hat. The building was moved from the original location on East Lake Street to McHattie Park in 1976 as a bicentennial project and it now serves as the focal point for the historic village.
The museum is open Sundays from 1pm to 4pm, May to October.
The interior of the depot has been preserved to show what a turn-of-the-century train depot would look like. The Depot is an excellent resource for railroad buffs or those who simply want to know more about the history of South Lyon.
This website gives a more comprehensive history of the building, including its role in the state railroad system and a photo of the depot under construction in 1909 as well as a photograph of the depot in the 1970s before it was moved to its current location in McHattie Park.
Historical Marker for the Witch's Hat Depot